Tuesday 1 October 2013

Carpe some other Diem

Autumn is creeping in.  That's today's GBO.  But wait, there's more in depth-ery to come. We're going away very soon.  Off to the sunshine for some erm, sun.  Inevitably, this leaves me with a bunch of things I'd like to get out of the way before we go.  I don't think this sets me apart from any other woman, whether the 'going away' is for a day or a fortnight, to be honest.
So yesterday, I seized and attacked.  The day dawned and I grabbed it by the throat and shook it warmly.  By lunchtime I had caught up on post and emails, done some paperwork for the real job, changed bed linens, unloaded the dishwasher, sorted out a casserole for our gourmet supper, taken Miss Dunnit to work after a last minute shift change, and - AND, made another page for the Calendar workshop.  My word, I was on it. Afternoon plans were to include another stint at the desk to get ahead of workshop scheduling and another Calendar LO, and then to tackle the ironing.  I'd already been through the basket and taken out anything that genuinely didn't need doing.  I was cruising! 
And then I glanced at the morning's work for the Calendar page.  And decided to tweak it in two places.  Three hours and four pages later, I decided to re-try it in the morning because I was cross, hungry and running out of 12 x 12 card stock. Honestly, will I ever learn to leave something alone?
I had a teeny desk calendar for 2010 which featured a witty quote for each day of the year.  There were a handful that I was moved to keep.  Not for motivational purposes, so much as there were some things I wish I'd said.  There was a quote from Joanna (someone) that was long the lines of this:
" I have a mug with Carpe Diem on it.  Sometimes, at six in the morning, I do not want to 'seize the day'.  I want to slap a dead latin poet."
I can't help but feel a lot of sympathy with Joanne.  So today feels like a new day, looks like a new day, and overnight, I've had a new idea....wish me luck!

18 comments:

Kyla said...

Ah, the pre holiday dilema. It will all be worth it when you are sat on a sun longer with a cocktail in your hand. As for ironing surely all you need is a gorgeous cover up to take you from beach to hotel then a dress for evenings....simples (if only it was!) X

Judys Lace Creations said...

Oh dear- another woman who goes crazy before her holiday.All I can say, is that when you come home tired, and you walk into a house that is tidy, organised and ready for you, you'll be Very Glad!!
Have a lovely break!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

You accomplished more in one morning than I did all last week (grin). I'm sure those pre-holiday jitters are now under control. And I'd say your sneak peek is adorably mixed media!!

ria gall said...

Hi Julia
oh I feel what you are saying, in fact I have just done a blog post explaining my hassles.
I hope that when you get away you get some peace, rest and can leave all thoughts at home for what is still to be done.
Enjoy and make the most of it you lovely lady you deserve it.
Ria

MiamiKel said...

We lead similiar lives! I'm on the go-go-go, like it or not :) Way to go on getting all that in though, so much accomplished!

That is the FUNNIEST saying I've ever heard, LOL! I'll have to look for that :)

Hugs to you!

Kirsty.A said...

Yes, I can totally relate. Always leave the house tidier when I won't be there for a week or so than it ever is when I'm there to enjoy a tidy house

Monique said...

haha, yes I can so relate to that. It's hopeless sometimes =) Now where's that dead poet, so I can slap him as well...
xx Monique

Krisha said...

LOL, yes I could slap the same poet about 5:30 am too, and THAT is why I don't have a cup with that saying! The push to get things done before leaving can reb up the mojo at times.
Have a great time and soak up the sun as much as possible!!

misteejay said...

Gosh, did you actually allow time to breath...hehehe.

I'm sure you will be pleased that you managed to get all this done so that on your return you can just kick off the shoes and put your feet up with a cuppa (before you start shoving stuff in the washer...giggle).

Toni xx

Helen said...

Love the quote... what a lot you achieved in one morning, that is seriously impressive! Hope you have a lovely holiday (when it arrives) and the sun duly shines on you both. or all, if Miss D is going with you.. I'm off next week myself, but won't be catching any rays (unless the forecast here is kind!)

KatzElbows said...

I once had a panic attack while packing my suitcase. Of course once it it there I was glad I packed, but prepping for a class with twenty people is easier than prepping for holiday! Enjoy the sun.

Love Rachel.

Lisa-Jane said...

I love the look of that sneaky picture there! Let us start the day again! Huzzah!

Heather{Our Life In a Click} said...

Sometimes we just can't leave well enough alone. You got a lot done though!

fairy thoughts said...

It's funny how much you can achieve when needs must

HeARTworks said...

That calendar is a treasure- you should post more of what it says!!!! patsy

Nan G said...

Oh I so agree with Joanne (somebody)! lol

Annie Claxton said...

heheheh - I just nearly fell off my chair laughing, in an empathic way of course! Hope you relax and enjoy your time away :o)xxx

Sarn said...

GOOD LUCK!

Hi Julia . . .popped over to see you on a non-WOYWW post. Very funny, as ever.

Hugs
Sarn xxx