Friday 15 April 2011

Themes and schemes

A couple of people commented on this from Wednesday's workdesk photo - it's a card (!) for next week's workshop. See, me and Shopkeeper Gal had this great plan: following a fab idea from Daring Cardmakers last year I think, why not have one workshop each month based on the birthstone for that month. Sounded like a great idea and so we committed. Now when I say we, I mean I. How hard can it be? Consult Google (of course!) for a list of the birthstones and make some stone appropriate cards, 4 per workshop to be exact. Well, I can see why Shopkeeper Gal let me get all carried away with the possibilities - turned out to be really difficult! I found myself being overwhelmed by the colour of each stone so far...here we are in April and I've only just got
my head around the possibility of suggestion, or nodding toward the stone and its colour. See this all aquamarine card..oh boy. Bit in your face, huh!
So the April stone is diamond which gave me all sorts of colour problems...except of course it didn't really, after all, when I stopped hyper-ventilating like an attention starved diva and started to actually think about it properly, it's a great shape; I stumbled upon a couple of ideas whilst panic planning, so it looks as if the next birthstone workshop might at last see me get a grip of the idea..it's only taken 4 months. Dunno how the DT at Daring Cardmakers do it so consistently...my hat is raised!

15 comments:

Annie said...

What a fab challenge to give yourself. I will look forward to seeing the ideas you come up with. Hope you're having a good week.
A x

Sarn said...

I can HEAR the panic in your post there Julia! Good luck with the workshop.
Hugs, Sandra x

Angie said...

Love the card ...spotted it on your desk too ...think the birth stone idea sounds fun ...and food for thought

mckinkle said...

Think its a great idea Julia and so perfectly executed too! Love the cards and I think the aquamarine one is just stunning!
Keryn x

akilli melek said...

Julia I actually love the aquamarine card. What a quirky idea about the birthdstones, love it. good luck with the other colours.
caroline

alexa said...

Now I've stopping hyperventilating in sympathy, I can appreciate the lovely blues of that card!

misteejay said...

Ah....you've given me an idea - I've got a load of Bazzill bling somewhere all in birthstone colours.

Your cards are fab some it's official - you can stop panicing...

Toni xx

Gez Butterworth said...

Great cards. What a fab challenge! Sound like fun classes :) Have a great weekend.xx

Dragon said...

Real challenge there gal, but sure you are up to it... for it, or in for it.... not sure now!!! Tee hee
Frankie
xx

ShazInOzCardsCalligraphy said...

mm Julia can understand it being difficult you are one brave lady!! do love the first April one though very bold and lovely too,
Shaz in oz.x

Ohhh Snap said...

What a fabulous concept and what great cards! Lucky workshop attendees! TFS :D

airing cupboard crafts said...

I think what you have done with the Diamonds this month is genius! I am intrieged about the top one the backround embossing it's not all over or is that just the light?

Thank you so much for Thursday night I had a fab time will blog the cards this week. x

Claire said...

Fab card & fab challenge to set yourself too, can't wait to see what you come up with.
C
xx

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I think you are doing a fabulous job of creating. I have NO DOUBT in your ability. After all, you manage to make cards for no reason whatsoever, so this should be something you can do with ease. And I'm glad you are taking it in stride, too.

Morti said...

I'm a bit late to the party on this one (don't you just LOVE link within?) but I think the aquamarine card is just lovely. And I do wish I'd come to the Emerald class now. And I'm kicking myself I didn't do Pearl....